Wednesday, November 12, 2008

10 Ways to Pray for the President-Elect

J. Lee Grady at Charisma Magazine wrote the following about 10 Ways to Pray for Barack Obama You do not have to like him or agree with him or have voted for him in order to pray for him. I think I heard somewhere that we were commanded to pray for those in authority.

Regardless of who sits in the Oval Office, the Bible says “the nations are like a drop from a bucket” to God (Is. 40:15, NASB). That includes the United States. We may boast about being “the greatest nation on earth,” but He who sits in heaven has a different perspective. Let’s take a big sigh of relief now and remember that God is sovereign.

I’ll admit this election did not turn out as I had hoped. I supported McCain primarily because I am pro-life and I prefer his small-government mindset. But now that the election is over, I’m not going to harbor bitterness toward Obama supporters or go into attack mode. Obama has been elected president of this country, and that means I have a biblical responsibility to support him in prayer—even if I challenge his policies.

Whether you voted for Obama or not, you need to pray for him. Here are 10 ways I plan to intercede for him regularly:

1. Pray for Obama’s protection...
2. Cover his wife and daughters in prayer...
3. Pray that Obama will govern with God’s wisdom....
4. Ask God to keep our president humble. ...
5. Pray for wise and righteous advisers to surround him....
6. Ask for the spirit of reconciliation....
7. Pray that Obama will adopt pro-life convictions. ...
8. Bind all evil forces assigned to manipulate our president ...
9. Pray that Obama’s door will remain open to the church. ...
10. Pray that our nation will enjoy God’s peace and blessing during the Obama administration....

There is more detail and discussion behind each prayer topic at his original post at Fire in My Bones blog. Let's keep praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment