Saturday, November 29, 2008

10 Tips to Read More and Read Better: Number 5

Tim Chailles has written a list of 10 Tips to Read More and Read Better. His blog is one of my favorite sites. I really like his points on reading ( not to mention that I am an addicted reader and bibliophile) so I am going to quote one of his ten points each day for ten days. I encourage all my readers to put this into practice.

Point number five is:
Read with Discernment - Though books have incredible power to do good, to challenge and strengthen and edify, they also have the power to do evil. I have seen lives transformed by books but have also seen lives crushed. So do ensure that you read with discernment, always comparing the books you read to the standard of Scripture. If you encounter a book that is particularly controversial, it may be worth ensuring that you can reference a review that interacts critically with the arguments or that you can read it with a person who better understands the arguments and their implications. You do not need to fear any book as long as you read with a critical eye and with a discerning mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment