Monday, April 21, 2008

Treasuring the Living Word of God

Interesting post at the "From Eden to Zion" blog on Treasuring the Living Word of God « From Eden to Zion - Here is an excerpt:
I make a distinction between the Word of God stored and the Word of God living. The difference is a word that really resonates but has no clear and present application in my life. I store those words through study and memorization so they can do their work in my life at another time.

But what about the Word of God that speaks to me in the present. Words that will change the way I think today. Words that perfectly match God’s agenda for my life now. These you must treasure above all things. When reading Scripture or when listening the Spirit or when present at the Gathering a word pierces my heart. What do you do at that moment? You MUST go into action to preserve that Word. I carry a tiny notebook with me everywhere I go so I can immediately protect and properly steward God’s living Word in my life.

In our community I’ve noticed how many people refuse to be separated from their journals or notebooks, making a practice out of protecting God’s Living Word for them. If right now, at this moment, as you’re reading this, you cannot turn to read and meditate on God’s Living Word for you then one of two things has occurred.

1. God is not speaking to you
2. You are treating God’s Living Word with contempt

Now the first option is highly unlikely. Man does not live by bread alone but we feast on God’s Word as often as we eat meals. God will speak through His Spirit to all of us if we study Scripture, listen, and live life in community with other radical disciples. We can all develop a lifestyle conducive to hearing God’s Living Word and this should be a constant part of our daily and weekly rhythm. But when God’s Word does come you NEED a strategy to protect it!
Lot's of spiritual directors and mentors encourage us to keep diaries and journals of the things we believe God is saying to us during Bible study, church services and private prayer. But the real test is, as always, what are we doing with what we hear- Are we (am I) hearers only or doers of the word?

No comments:

Post a Comment