Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Reasons I hope you read my blog

Last month Michael Spencer, the "Internet Monk," posted "Ten Reasons I Don't Read Your Blog."

The IMonk is one of the sites I read on a regular basis. Although I don't 100% endorse anybody on the internet (See Sam Storms post below) I get a lot of insight and challenge from his site and writings, and admire his writing and communication ability - and his generous spirit.

I hope to learn from his 10 points to make this website worth reading. The 10 blogging errors to avoid are:

1. "Its too personal." I'm basically a private person. Promise not to reveal my underwear size on this blog - and don't ask me "boxers or briefs" because I won't answer!

2. "You have no sense of humor. " I have to have a sense of humor -there is so much about me worth laughing at! Just ask my kids.

3. "Your level of knowledge regarding the subjects you write about is so low that a discussion isn’t moved forward by what you write." If I'm ignorant on a given subject I will keep quiet - or at least write with a high level of humility.

4. "Your posts don’t have links that lead me to new, interesting and helpful sites I’ve not yet discovered. " Working on this one.

5. "Your blog is an echo chamber. " Haven't said enough to have any echos yet. I will try to link to writers I agree with and some I may disagree with, and to spots from an eclectic set of opinions and communities.

6. "Your finger wagging lectures make your readers feel stupid." If my finger is pointing at you I know that 3 fingers are pointing back at me.

7. "Your blog wastes my time. " Hope not- but let me know if you think so.

8. "You keep telling me how much I need to read your blog posts. No one else tells me I need to read your posts. No one links them. No one seems to have noticed them. But you keep saying I really need to read them." If I get any readers it will have to be the old fashioned way- I will earn it with hard work and hopefully both good writing and something worth reading.

9. "You keep playing with your site and it’s annoying." I don't know enough about html or design in general to be in danger of this error. Might have to ask my beautiful and talented artist daughter for some help and pointers.

10. "You think blogging is too important." No danger there- I have a life! (And a wife!)

1 comment:

  1. 2. "You have no sense of humor. " I have to have a sense of humor -there is so much about me worth laughing at! Just ask my kids.

    Oh Daddy, you have no idea.

    ReplyDelete