Thursday, April 28, 2011

Storms and Death... and Hope

Yesterday there was a horrible line of storms and tornadoes across the southern USA. I found out last night that a tornado touched down on the Mississippi farm where my Dad spent his childhood and youth. One of my cousins and her husband were killed when the storm destroyed their trailer.  Beverly and Mike were good people, and Christian believers. They had moved back to the family homestead to help care for our elderly Uncle Terrell, who had a heart attack two years ago and has been in poor health.

This means I will be attending a funeral this weekend. I hate funerals. I hate death. In those sentiments I am in good company, because Jesus also hated funerals. He hated them so much that he disrupted every funeral he ever attended..... with a resurrection.

As he disrupted funerals all over Galilee, one day He will disrupt death itself. I am looking forward to the final funeral disruption and our eternal resurrection.  I will see you again, Beverly!

"When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: 'Death is swallowed up in victory.' O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?" (I Cor 15:54-55 ESV)

6 comments:

  1. sorry for your loss...we were created to live forever, and death is against our natures which yearn for immortality...hating death is natural.
    I thought it was Death where is your sting? And Grave where is your victory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words.

    You are remembering the King James version of that text. Either way, still brings hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this. Most of our family are not believers. I have been to several 'empty' funerals of unbelievers but only to one Christian funeral. It was completely different - filled with hope. Tragedy and pain and anguish and anger that death is in the world but also the hope of a joyous reunion to come. I pray that you and your family will feel that catch in your hearts, a touch from the Lord himself. We are staring down the barrel of my Father-in-law's death - he has a terminal illness and it is heartbreaking. He gave his life to the Lord a few years ago during a visit to our church and although there was no fruit, the Lord recently confirmed his salvation to us. Praise God for His victory over death!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark - May God be with you and your family as you face the loss of your father-in-law. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for you loss! My mother died unexpectedly 3 years ago and it is hard. Even though you know they are ok and that you will see them again, it is hard in the here and now. I wrote a song that represents this feeling in me. It is on my blog page on the top right called "He Holds Us All" - just click it! I had it professionally arranged and recorded and I give it as gifts to those who have suffered a loss. You are welcome to download it if you wish. My heart goes out to you and your family! (I am signed in so I think you can link to my blog through my name? I am a new blogger and not sure how it works!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenda - I see we share a similar blogger design template - great minds think alike!

    I listened to your song- just beautiful! Thanks for your kind words, and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete