Friday, April 22, 2011

May 21: Harold Camping's Folly

Have you seen one of these billboards? There are different versions appearing throughout the USA, including a couple of them in my vicinity - I pass one going to church each Sunday.

Harold Camping of Family Radio ministries has "calculated" that the rapture will occur on May 21, 2001. He and his followers are paying for these billboards and traveling the country warning folks to get ready. Brother Camping apparently believes that Matthew 24:36 does not apply to him. He has made a career out of trying to predict the date of Christ's second coming, most notably previously predicting a return in 1994 (I certainly don't remember it happening, so I guess he was WRONG!)

W. Robert Godfrey at the Ligonier Ministries website has done us all a service by digging into and explaining the background of our misguided brother, Harold Camping. You can read it at:

The End of the World According to Harold Camping (Part 1)
The End of the World According to Harold Camping (Part 2)
The End of the World According to Harold Camping (Part 3)
The End of the World According to Harold Camping (Part 4)

The Lord could come back whenever He so chooses, although I'm pretty sure it will not be May 21, 2011 (but He is certainly free to prove me wrong!). We need to pray for these confused and deluded people when we all wake up on May 22nd.  And I hope no one ever pays any serious attention to Camping again.

Addendum:  Chaplain Mike at IMonk comments here.

Update on 4/26/11- It's worse than I thought.  See Part 5

No comments:

Post a Comment