Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Why So Little Preaching From the Old Testament?

Tony Reinke at "Miscellanies" asked a good question : Why is the Old Testament shut out of church? His answer quotes an article by Dr. Ralph Davis at Reformation 21.
“…Maybe this is why the OT is shut out of the church. We do not have the right approach. I am not convinced that there is a ‘problem’ with the OT. I do not think the ’strangeness’ or ‘distance’ or the language of the OT is much of a problem; nor is our difficulty with the OT mainly a matter of techniques. Rather we get off track in our interpretation of the OT because our eyes are fastened on the wrong ‘object.’ I do not mean that we cannot consider methods and genre and criticism and problems, but for crying out loud there is a living God waiting to reveal himself in the OT and we so easily take our eyes off of him! If he is my exceeding joy (Ps. 43:4) then I should delight in seeing him in the OT. If he is the fountain of living waters (Jer. 2:13), I should be thirsting and craving for him as I read its texts…”

Amen and amen! We need more preaching of the whole Bible, not just the parts we like to put on our refrigerator doors; not just the parts that please the ears, and not just the parts easy to understand. Jesus said the whole thing is about Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment