Thursday, July 24, 2008

WANTED - 1000 Reformed Charismatic Churches

Adrian Warnock wants to see 1,000 Reformed Charismatic Churches! See WANTED - 1000 Reformed Charismatic Churches
Do we need lots of reformed charismatic churches? I believe we do. Firstly, we need reformed charismatic churches to show Christians that there really is a third option between arid intellectualism and brainless experiential showmanship. It’s not that the caricatures we tend to make of both cessationists and charismatics are entirely accurate; it’s just that churches that are unashamedly both reformed and charismatic can give confidence to others to make that plunge, or at least ensure they do not meet the caricature defining their end of the spectrum. I believe that it is a good thing to have different churches in any given town that can provoke each other and learn from one another.

But I also believe that reformed charismatic churches are often uniquely placed to become genuinely missional churches that can reach out and grow largely by salvation. We live in a culture that has, for the most part, turned its back on traditional church. Why shouldn’t we offer the world a church whose methods, music, style, and experience are totally up-to-date, but where the message remains old-fashioned and traditional in the sense of being solidly biblical?
Sounds good to me.

Update: A helpful and timely reminder aboutthe priority of Evangelical identity before Reformed identity by Lee Irons at Between Two Worlds.

6 comments:

  1. Great! Thanks for the link. So, do you see yourself playing any particular role in this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. What is my role (very limited as it is)?

    I consider myself reformed because I believe in the importance of sound doctrine and Theology, the priority of grace in soteriology, in the importance of Biblical literacy to the health of a church and in Bible exposition as a preaching model. However, I am amazed at the lack of emotion and coldness in worship I have seen in some reformed circles, and in non-charismatic evangelicalism in general. How can you not get excited about the Gospel?

    I consider myself charismatic because I'm a continualist on spiritual gifts, and believe in and practice the continuing role of signs and wonders in ministry and evangelism. My understanding of the supernatural is grounded in an "already but not yet" conception of the Kingdom of God; in a down-payment understanding of eschatology. However, I mourn over the theological ignorance, hype, emotional manipulation and sheer tackiness of much of the charismatic world.

    I refuse to choose between the two and want the best of both worlds. Although not a pastor or full time minister, I will do everything in my power to live and proclaim a balanced model of ministry that is both supernatural and rational.

    How's that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds pretty good to me, sounds a bit like my post I want it all.

    So are you in a reformed charismatic church?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're a Vineyard. Our web site is www.vineyardjackson.org.

    Our pastor took some classes at Reformed Seminary under R.C. Sproul, although he did not get a degree there. He is reformed, although the church is not promoted as a "reformed church."

    I'm pretty sure that everything I have said on this blog I could say from our pulpit with no problems (although I'd have to be careful to explain some terminology for the theologically uneducated.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adrian, if you see this, thanks for the links to Mark Driscoll's messages at your conference. I'm really enjoying listening to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am seeing this alrught. It wasnt really "my" confernce, but I am very glad that you are enjoying the talks. We had a great time!

    ReplyDelete