Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sin Slaying Power of the Cross

On June 29th I preached a message on the Doctrine of the Cross. The more I meditate on that expansive subject, the more these words from C.H. Spurgeon ring true.
...My sole hope for Heaven lies in the full atonement made upon Calvary’s cross for the ungodly. On that I firmly reply. I have not the shadow of a hope anywhere else. Personally, I could never have overcome my own sinfulness. I tried and failed. My evil propensities were too many for me, till, in the belief that Christ died for me, I cast my guilty soul on Him, and then I received a conquering principle by which I overcame my sinful self. The doctrine of the cross can be used to slay sin, even as the old warriors used their huge two-handed swords, and mowed down their foes at every stroke. There is nothing like faith in the sinners’ Friend: it overcomes all evil. If Christ has died for me, ungodly as I am, without strength as I am, then I cannot live in sin any longer, but must arouse myself to love and serve Him who hath redeemed me. I cannot trifle with the evil which slew my best Friend. I must be holy for His sake. How can I live in sin when He has died to save me from it?
- Charles Spurgeon
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Hat Tip : Already Not Yet

No comments:

Post a Comment