Thursday, July 3, 2008

Donatists, GAFCON, and Bentley, Oh My!

This very interesting post by Peter Kirk at Gentle Wisdom just floored me! I have said before that I'm a church history nut. Well, Peter Kirk has drawn a connection between the Donatist controversy in the 4th century AD, the current divisions among Anglicans over Biblical authority as demonstrated by the GAFCON Conference in Jerusalem, and critics of Todd Bentley and the Lakeland renewal. Talk about connecting the dots!

The central question that ties the three situations together is this: Do sinful behaviors or false teachings of a minister prevent hearers or communicants from being truly touched by God through their ministry? Or, to use the Latin phrases well known in historical Theology, do sacramental actions (including preaching) act ex opere operantis or ex opere operato? (If those phrases are unfamiliar, don't worry; they are clearly explained in the article.)

For an interesting romp through church history, historical theology and current religious controversies, and a practical demonstration of the relevance of studying church history, read the article at The Donatists, GAFCON, and the Todd Bentley critics.

1 comment:

  1. Barry, thanks for the link. I hope you, as more of a church history nut than me, agree that I have made real connections here. If you or your readers spot any loose links, please comment about them on my blog.

    ReplyDelete