Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I Want to Do the Stuff

Eric Jones wants to do the stuff! TRANSFORMED DAILY!: I want to do it all
Am I a disciple of Christ? What does a disciple look like? I think of two scriptures where Jesus told us what he wants His disciples to be doing.

As you go, preach this message: 'The kingdom of heaven is near.' Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. Matthew 10:7-8

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. - Matthew 28:19-20

God, I ask that you would send me just as you sent your original twelve disciples – preaching the kingdom of God, healing the sick, raising the dead, driving out demons, baptizing, and teaching others to obey all of your commands. You say that we have all the authority in you to do these things for your kingdom; may it be so in my life. I want to do it all and be used by you for your glory. May I get out of the way and let you do your full work in me and through me.
As a Vineyard guy, I love the story from John Wimber's testimony when he attended a church service for the first time. Coming from the world of pop music, he had been reading the Gospels but had no church background. Upon leaving his first church service, he said to the preacher "That was interesting, but when do you do the stuff?" The pastor was totally confused - what do you mean "stuff" he asked? John replied, " You know, the Jesus stuff; healing the sick, casting out demons. I read about it in the book." "Oh," said the preacher, "we don't do that stuff anymore!" John made it his life mission to do the stuff, and to teach others to do what Jesus did.

I agree with Wimber and with Eric Jones above - I want to do the Stuff! I want to be part of a church where doing the stuff is normal and expected. I want to take the stuff outside of the church walls and into the streets. Am I doing it yet? Sometimes, in some partial ways. Nope, can't say I've arrived yet. But I am seeking and seeing signs of hope. I know people who are doing it more than I am. God's Word, commission and promises are more important than my (so far) limited experience.

Anyone want to join us on this quest?

No comments:

Post a Comment