Thursday, July 31, 2008

Haunting Quote

I am haunted by this quote from Phillips Brooks:
Do not pray for easy lives; pray to be stronger. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers; pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle, but you yourself shall be a miracle. Every day you shall wonder at yourself, at the richness of life which has come to you by the grace of God.

I cannot remember where I got it, so I cannot give it the proper citation and credit it deserves. However, it hit me so hard when I saw it that I wrote it in the front of my Day Timer for constant reference. I read it and pray it almost daily.

Now I am at a place in my journey where new challenges are coming that make it harder to pray this prayer- asking for an easier time would be so much simpler! I chose instead to continue praying for a stronger faith and bigger soul, rather than an easier life. God help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment