Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Remembering "The Day the Music Died"

Today, February 3, 2009, is the 50th anniversary of "the day the music died." Let's all sing together "Bye, bye, Miss American Pie. Drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry..."

The Don McLean song "American Pie" was big in 1971-72 when I was 15 years old. We spent a lot of time on the school bus every day figuring out what each verse meant. Finally discovered that the day the music died was the date of the plane crash that killed three early rock-n-roll stars. McLean obviously didn't think much of the state of popular music in the 60's and really despised Mick Jagger!
I can’t remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride,
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died.

So bye-bye, miss american pie.
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
And them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
Singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.
"this’ll be the day that I die."
In Memoriam and Rest in Peace:

Jiles Perry “The Big Bopper” Richardson, Jr. (October 24, 1930 – February 3, 1959)

Buddy Holly (September 7, 1936 – February 3, 1959)

Ritchie Valens (May 13, 1941 – February 3, 1959)

See: 50 Years After His Death, The Boy Finally Meets his Father - Warner_Todd_Huston’s blog
- RedState

No comments:

Post a Comment