Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Reformation Day


October 31st is not just "All Hallows' Eve," but also Reformation Day, the day Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the Wittenburg Church door, starting the Protestant Reformation. It's always good to remember what the great reformer Martin Luther actually said and stood for.  Here are his famous words before Emperor Charles and the German Diet in the City of Worms.

"Since then your serene majesty and your lordships seek a simple answer, I will give it in this manner, neither horned nor toothed: Unless I am convinced by the testimony of the Scripture or by clear reason (for I do not trust either in the pope or in councils alone, since it is well known that they have often erred and contradicted themselves), I am bound by the Scriptures I have quoted and my conscience is captive to the word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience. [He then added in German] Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me! Amen"
May we all stand faithful with him.

Update: Want to read the 95 Theses?  Here they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment