Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Bent Upon Myself

I was feeling selfish today. Surprise - I'm a SINNER! Then I read this:
"The biggest difference between the practical effect of sin and the practical effect of the gospel is that sin turns us inward and the gospel turns us upward and outward. Martin Luther picked up this imagery in the Reformation, arguing that sin actually bends or curves us upon ourselves (homo incurvatus in se). We were designed to embrace God and others, but instead we are now consumed with ourselves. The gospel causes us to look up to Christ and what he did, out to our neighbor and what they need, not in to ourselves and how we’re doing. There’s nothing about the gospel that fixes my eyes on me. Any version of Christianity, therefore, that encourages you to think mostly about you is detrimental to the faith–whether it’s your failures or your successes; your good works or your bad works; your strengths or your weaknesses; your obedience or your disobedience."
Forgive me, Lord, for focusing solely on myself today. That last sentence hits hard.  May Christ be Glorified!

Quote from:  Up And Out, Not In – Tullian Tchividjian

No comments:

Post a Comment