Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Joining the Gang

Francis Chan in Forgotten God:
“A while back a former gang member came to our church. He was heavily tattooed and rough around the edges, but he was curious to see what church was like. He had a relationship with Jesus and seemed to get fairly involved with the church. After a few months, I found out the guy was no longer coming to the church. When asked why he didn’t come anymore, he gave the following explanation: ‘I had the wrong idea of what church was going to be like. When I joined the church, I thought it was going to be like joining a gang. You see, in the gangs we weren’t just nice to each other once a week – we were family.’ That killed me because I knew that what he expected is what the church is intended to be. It saddened me to think that a gang could paint a better picture of commitment, loyalty, and family than the local church body.” (152)

(BTW,This is a pretty good book, IMHO)

Hat Tip: Take Your Vitamin Z: The Church Should Be Like a Gang... At Least in One Sense

No comments:

Post a Comment