Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Identifying Your Functional Saviors

Tim Keller's book Counterfeit Gods exposed me to the idea that idols are "functional saviors" - activities, things or people we look to for what can and should only be found in Christ.  In that light, I present the following list (From The Bookends of the Christian Life by Jerry Bridges) of twelve "questions" to help us to identify our functional saviors:
1. I am preoccupied with ________.
2. If only ________, then I would be happy.
3. I get my sense of significance from ________.
4. I would protect and preserve ________ at any cost.
5. I fear losing ________.
6. The thing that gives me greatest pleasure is ________.
7. When I lose ________, I get angry, resentful, frustrated, anxious, or depressed.
8. For me, life depends on ________.
9. The thing I value more than anything in the world is ________.
10. When I daydream, my mind goes to________.
11. The best thing I can think of is ________.
12. The thing that makes me want to get out of bed in the morning is ________.
Whatever you fill in the blanks with (other than Jesus) might be your idol. In other words (to borrow a phrase from the redneck jokes), "you just might be an idolater if..."  And remember, idols can be good things.  Good things, made into ultimate things, become bad things.

A lot to think (and pray) about here!

Hat Tip: Jared at  The Thinklings: