Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Save Me From My Subculture

Are you part of a Christian sub-culture? Know it or not, you probably are.

Darryl Dash prays Save Me From My Subculture

I’ve come to realize that it’s really hard not to become part of some kind of subculture. The problem is that many of the clichés become accurate. I’ve noticed lately that it takes someone else to point out my own tribe, because I sometimes don’t even recognize the quirks of my particular group. I don’t mind being idiosyncratic as much as I mind being oblivious.

It’s why I am appreciating my friends who are not part of my subculture. I need to make a point of having lunch with them and enduring their gentle mocking when they see the quirks of my tribe, just as I’ll gently mock them right back.

To my friends from other tribes – you know who you are – thank you.

It’s also why I need to read widely so I don’t get trapped in just one way of thinking. And it’s why I continue to enjoy being part of a denomination that isn’t comprised of people just like me.

I don’t have to like everything about the other subcultures, but I sure need them to save me from my own.

The first commentator on his post said "Just be prepared for the loneliness." Ouch!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barry,
    Each Denomination has it's own little comfort box that it operates out of. For some of us it's very hard to join with other Christians even in the pursuit of something like Abortion, or contempary music, or revival.
    Each denomination puts itself at the head of the "I'm doing God's Will" here, while every other religion or denomination puts others in the "They are sinners but just don't know it box!"
    I was brought up Methodist, as were my parents and their parent's.
    I thought that my parents and grandparents were very predjudiced.
    And through my genology research I have come to see that each generation is less so then their parents. but I have also discovered that each generation were strong Christians in their own right!
    But wether they were Quakers when "quaker was a nasty term for a "Non-conformist", or Catholic, or methodist or what-ever. They were devout readers of the Bible and Christian none the less.
    Getting back to my original comments 3 paragraphs back....As a Methodist I was taught that those who were Catholics were going to hell because they worshiped idols!
    When I was old enough to seek the lord on my own I became part of a charismatic church. (Which I loved - but I also heard it said at different times... that anyone who didn't seek the Lord as we were; well they were in the wrong and they were probably gonna die in their sins....This really bothered me becasue I had read on my own in the Bible that we were not to "Judge Others least we be judged." (I am a litterally minded person and I took that to heart.
    But it is very hard to walk out our faith in this present day and age, and yet we must do it.
    We are encouraged to Share the Gospel with others, But this is where our old and dead self battles with our re-born self, throw in our issues that we deal with and battle with and you will find a thousand excuses as to why we do what we do when we do it, and why we don't do what we should. [for better or worse.]
    I think of myself as a Christian first, Methodist, Charismatic or Presbyterrian after that. I lack the energy that I had when I was 20-something, even the energy and drive I had when I was in my 30's. and now that I am pushing 60...I have no energy left.
    but I need Jesus more than ever...and I know that HE is the only reason I am able to get through the day. He is the reason I don't cry my heart out over the scaristy of friends (who are willing to met me half-way.....) He gives me strength to see each day through to the end and then on top of that he keeps me through the night.
    But as for a denomination where I feel totally at home (in the bossume of friends..) Well that only happened once.
    I miss the good old days. I miss your preaching, I miss the worship and singing.
    Love, FAY

    ReplyDelete