Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Boored with Reading the Bible?

Okay, we all know that we should read the Bible regularly in order to be "good Christians." But have you ever asked yourself Why Doesn't Anything Happen When I Read My Bible?

This is what Andrew Farris said on the subject:
"There are probably a number of reasons for this, but one that I have consistently come back to is that most times I don't feel anything when I read my Bible. Nothing seems to change. I still fight my same old battles with lust, pride, selfishness, a foul mouth, and so on. "This is the Word of God," I tell myself, "so why don't I notice it doing its work in my life?" Why doesn't anything really happen when I read my Bible?

I was lamenting this to a close friend a couple weeks ago and he quickly responded with something that has been rolling around my mind ever since. He told me that expecting that kind of instant gratification comes more from our culture than from true Christian spirituality."
That is a good insight.

When the Reformers, the Puritans, and strong believers of past generations read the Bible, they did not expect to always directly "experience God" as they read it. They knew that sometimes reading and study can just be drudgery, not a spiritual high. But they did it anyway.

Why? Because they saw the goal as getting the Word into their minds and hearts for future use by the Holy Spirit. They knew the truth expressed by Psalm 119:11: "I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." They knew what athletes know- training and exercise away from the field, as painful and boring as they can be, pay off in the game. They knew what soldiers and Marines know: that drill and practice with weapons and tactics pays off in quick response in the stress of battle.

Reading the Word of God will not always be exciting and meaningful - at the moment. However, the long-term benefits of hiding the Word in our hearts have been consistently testified to across all the generations of Christian history. Maybe if we (if I) practiced more discipline in this area now, we would be better prepared for times of pressure and stress down the road.

2 comments:

  1. When I read the Bible I know that the Word will do me good! I don't expect God to come down amid sparkles and glitz like "tinker bell", in my mind I know that he is already there.
    Whenever I read from the bible different things touch me, or make an impression on me. The Word of God is Living and it does me good!
    But as I read it on a day to day or problem to problem basis, God is able to answer my prayers, He is able to do His Will in me. It's hard to put my finger on the Hows and Whys of what happens. I know that God is there, I might now "feel" Him, but that doesn't negate the fact that I know He is
    here with me as I read and pray.
    I think A lot of people expect all of the bells and whistles to go off when they are reading the Word, or they expect God to 'pop' up like Genie out of the bottle and snap his fingers and 'poof' all of the problems go bye bye. Life isn't like that.
    Because there is a lack of bells and whistles some people jump to the conclusion that God isn't listening or that He doesn't care, or worse that their prayers simply aren't reaching His ear.
    This self disapointment with God is dangerous to the individual because they will start to look for the Bells and Whistles as proof that God is real. They could easily be lead astray.
    We want a closer walk with Him, but because we put our qualifications on what we want God to do, we blind ourselves to anything He might be doing...all because it doesn't grab our attention.
    When cults arrive they capture the attention because they make claims that to the disappointed follower sounds as good as the bells and whistles. Then the df allows someone else to do the reading for him, and takes everything at face value. Very dangerous for anyone to let a third party read the Bible for you and tell you that this passage means this or that.
    I have watched as a dear one allows a radio preacher do the reading for him...and he has gone from a believer to a believer who doesn't belive that he is saved, or has assurrance or that God loves us at all. My dear one doubts his salvation and all the rest all because of this radio preacher. The sad part is that my dear one no longer goes to church, nor does he venture beyond the four walls of our house.
    When I read from the bible, the words come alive...(for me) I can't put it better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loved one's delusion, and pray for the light of truth to come to him.

    ReplyDelete