Thursday, June 26, 2008

Faith is Nothing, But God is Everything!

Ever tried to "work up" faith. I can remember times when I struggled to "just believe" enough, thinking that if I just tried hard enough to "really believe," God would give me what I wanted from Him. I now know that my entire focus was wrong. Check this out from In the Clearing, quoting Matt Jenson on Faith is Nothing
If one were to ask Luther how she ought judge her faith, he would flatly reply that she should do no such thing, instead looking to the one judged in her place. Rather than getting caught up in diagnostics of faith (note the clinical expertise with which we can say ‘you don’t have enough faith!’), Luther would have us simply re-direct our attention to the object of faith, Jesus. Jesus is the mirror in which, by faith, we see ourselves, those women and men dead and raised to new life by the power of the Spirit.
He's right, of course (both Luther and Jenson). The power of faith is not in the size of the faith but the size of its object. A small faith in a big God does great things. And the God of the Bible is "large and in charge"! If you want to have greater faith, concentrate your attention and focus on the great Lord Jesus Christ rather than the size and strength of your faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment