Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Reading the Circle Maker

I'll be posting quotes over the next few weeks from Mark Batterson's new book The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears.

Books on prayer are a dime a dozen - there are a lot of them. My pastor mentioned this one in a sermon a few months back, and it was on sale in our church book store. I'm not much for following fads or jumping on band wagons, for books or otherwise, but hey, it was on sale 40% off!  I bought it, but didn't expect much. I was wrong.

This is a great book! I was underling stuff on almost every page. It is simultaneously deep, scripturally accurate, balanced, inspiring, thought-provoking, attention grabbing and easy to read. What else can you ask for!

The title comes from a rabbinic legend about Honi, the "circle maker," a 1st century BC Jewish prayer warrior who ended a long drought in Jerusalem by drawing a circle in the dirt and praying within his circle until rain came. The full story starts off the book

Batterson pastors an interesting church: National Community Church in Washington DC, also known as Theater Church. They are a multi-site congregation, and as the alternative name says, they meet in theaters, with a vision to have a branch in theaters at every Metro subway stop in DC.  Having lived and worked for many years in the DC area earlier in my life, I was drawn in by Batterson's stories featuring landmarks I am familiar with. If I lived in DC today, I'd certainly at least visit this church.

Expect a lot of quotes to be posted from this good book.
   

 


2 comments:

  1. I also read the book. I was standing in the book store trying to find something to read, and my hand just grabbed this one. Was not to sure about it at first. Like you said fad books are a dime a dozen. I found myself underlining and referencing many pages. I am trying to use what he was teaching, but still feel I'm asking for to much that I don't feel I deserve. I posted a small review on my blog too. Hope your day is well. I enjoy coming to your blog.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right - you don't deserve what you ask for, as none of us do. But He delights to answer bold prayers because Jesus did the deserving for us. Wonderful and amazing!

    ReplyDelete