Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Your Legacy - and the Gospel

David Wayne, aka the JOLLYBLOGGER, has written a provocative post on the question What if you only had one month to live?

Most discussions on that topic focus on what we would do differently in order to make a difference or leave a legacy. David, a pastor, makes the point that such approaches are leaving out the Gospel.
But the bottom line is this - if I am to face my own death with no regrets, the only way I can do so is if my sins are atoned for, and sins are only atoned for by the work of Christ. From what I can tell, most of these "what if you only had a short time to live" discussions revolve around things you must do to cleanse the slate and clear your conscience. Again, good stuff to do, but only in a secondary sense. If I knew I was going to die soon I would spend far more time reading, studying, meditating on and reflecting on all that Christ has done for me than anything else. That's the only sure way to approach your own death with no regrets.
David knows what he is talking about. He was diagnosed with cancer last year, and is currently undergoing treatment. While considering this question for yourself, please pray for David Wayne, his family, and his church.

No comments:

Post a Comment