Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Jeremiah for Church Planters « Church Planting Novice

The "Church Planting Novice" has an interesting post up with a study from Jeremiah entitled
Jeremiah for Church Planters. Here are some lessons from Jeremiah he sees for church planters:
* Like church planters, Jeremiah was asked to do counter-cultural things (prophesy judgment and exile, carry a flask around, bury a loincloth, speak of God’s righteousness and holiness). For a planter, things like church discipline, God-centered preaching, gospel-focused counseling, contextualized ministry, and so on can be very counter-cultural, counter to prevailing secular and Christian sub-cultures.
* I am reminded of how utterly opposed our God is to our sin. Jeremiah has been prophetic in my life, calling me to repent of “seeking broken cisterns that can hold no water and forsaking the God of living waters” (2:13). The broken cistern of church planting is no place to find significance or refreshment. Only the God of living waters can satisfy my soul.
* I am refreshed by the breathtaking promises offered by God in the midst of struggle with sin. God has not left me to broken cisterns, but promises living water (2), a healing balm (8), knowledge of God (9), a new heart (36), the Spirit of God (36)....
* I am reminded of the gravity of shepherding the flock of God and the consequences of poor shepherding (chps. 2,4,11,17, 23). God has not called me to planting; he has called me to pastoring. This is eternally weighty. I am not responsible for producing culturally savvy Christians, but for leading God’s people to cherish him above all things and to love others with radical, Jesus love.

No comments:

Post a Comment