Thursday, May 29, 2008

Having the Best of Both Worlds

Heat and Light blog linked to an old post that I just love at How to Eat Your Cake: having the best of both worlds

An old adage goes, “You can’t have your cake and eat it too.” Old adages are stupid. I eat my cake. I know it may sound radical to some, but it’s true. I want the best of both worlds – the depth of theology, rich history, and deep love for the Word that I have found in Evangelical and “Reformed” churches, and the passionate worship, and the openness to let God be God and do what He pleases, as I’ve found among my Charismatic brothers and sisters. I am a Charismatic Calvinist – an “Empowered Evangelical” - a “Word and Power” Christian. Call it what you will, but I’m out of the closet for good.
Me too, brother! I want some of that cake. Sign me up!

We need the Spirit AND the Truth. Traditional Evangelicals and Charismatics need one another, and both are necessary in the emerging church if it is to faithfully be the body of Christ.

I tried to say similar things here. Let's refuse to choose between alternatives that are not mutually exclusive- things that God intended to stay together.

No comments:

Post a Comment