Monday, October 26, 2015

Be Still and Know...

Be Still by Pete Wilson:
One of my favorite verses to go to when I’m being overtaken by worry is Psalm 46:1, 10-11
God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble. 10 Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. 11 The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. 
I think it is easy, especially as we get older, to interpret “be still” as being lazy and lethargic, like we’re just supposed to sit there while the world spins out of control around us. However, the word “still” in Hebrew actually means to cease striving. We are constantly striving to control things that we were never designed to control, so all we need to do is be still and lean into the only one who ever had any control in the first place.
Cease striving today. Not because you know that things will all work out, but because you know the God who will work it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment