Friday, March 2, 2012

Comparative Danger

 Pride kills, and comparing ones-self to anyone but Jesus leads to pride. From a post by Ryan Huguley:
Pride is the feeling you experience when you compare yourself to someone else and deem yourself better than they could ever be.

So, I compare myself to another Christian and think, “I’m so much more holy then they are. I love Jesus far more than they do.” I compare myself to another father and think, “I’m a way better dad than that guy. I play with my kids, I’m sensitive to their needs, and I make them a priority. He doesn’t do any of that.” I compare myself to another pastor and think, “I’m so glad I preach better than that guy. I’m glad my theology is superior to his. I’m glad I love lost people more than he does. I’m making disciples far more effectively than he ever will.”

See what I mean? Comparing ourselves to others leads to one of two evils – despair, or pride.
S0 we need to stop comparing ourselves to other Christians, husbands, wives, moms, dads, pastors, friends, brothers, sisters, co-workers, and classmates. Instead, we need to start comparing ourselves to one person – JESUS.

When I compare myself to Jesus one thing becomes clear – He is perfect and I am not.  But the good news of the gospel is this…
“God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” – Romans 5:8
The gospel kills our pride and destroys our despair. Jesus frees us from the need to compare ourselves to others.
Remember - "...when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding." (2 Cor. 10:12 ESV)

2 comments:

  1. You are right...exactly correct....as it says in Eugene's Peterson version of "The Message", "with the arrival of Christ Jesus, the dilemma is resolved."
    And for that, I am ever grateful! Joe

    ReplyDelete