Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Is It Possible to Read Too Much?

"It is far from my intention to depreciate the value or deny the usefulness of books, without exception: a few well-chosen treatises, carefully perused and thoroughly digested, will deserve and reward our pans; but a multiplicity of reading is seldom attended with a good effect.
Besides the confusion it often brings upon the judgment and memory, it occasions a vast expense of time, indisposes for close thinking, and keeps us poor, in the midst of seeming plenty, by reducing us to live upon a foreign supply, instead of labouring to improve and increase the stock of our own reflections."
— John Newton in his letter "A Plan of a Compendious Christian Library" (Works of John Newton, Volume 1, 236). Paragraphing added.
Hat Tip:  Reading Too Much? :: Desiring God

Now he has gone from preaching to just meddling - He's touching MY idol and sacred cow. Ouch! "Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saves a wretch book-lover like me."

3 comments:

  1. I was surprised to read in George Muller's memoirs that he decided early on in his Christian walk to read only the Bible and no other books. While I've not taken him up on that advice, the thought has stuck with me. If the Spirit does indeed teach us all things, then why couldn't we limit our reading to the Bible? And, there's no injunction (or even advice) in the Scriptures to read anything but the Bible. In fact, I like to think that some of the best Christians have been illiterate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting, but so true. thanks
    I need to tell my med school professors I need less to read so I can learn the material more deeply! ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyson - you are right that some very holy people have been illiterate. However, I don't think we can truthfully use that as an excuse to not read. Paul was familiar with Greek poets (Acts 17 and Titus 1), after all.

    Rob - Let me know how that works for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete