Thursday, September 3, 2009

More Thoughts on “The Shack”

By now most evangelical believers have read or at least heard of the book The Shack. I have posted some reviews of the book and some of my thoughts on it here, here, here and here.

Trevin Wax published Some Thoughts on “The Shack” at his blog Kingdom People. This is one of the better balanced reviews that I have seen. I think I can totally agree with what he says about the book, both positively and negatively.

"I have heard people rave about this book (in a good way), and I have heard others rave about this book (in a bad way). Some described it as the best book in the past 50 years. Others described it as the worst heresy to ever hit the Christian bookstore.

In the end, I found that The Shack wasn’t nearly as good as some had said, and it wasn’t nearly as bad as others had charged. It has everything positive about contemporary evangelicalism, and yet it has all the drawbacks of current evangelical expression too."

I commend this review for your consideration.

2 comments:

  1. I just went back and read your reviews of The Shack. I've never thought of reading it, but maybe I'll read it for some cultural exposure. Good to know what people are reading and be able to speak intelligently about it. You're so right, many people these days are 'spiritual' and even 'christian' but they are not grounded in the Word. I can agree.
    Rob (Jason's friend!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rob.

    I wrote about "The Shack" because so many people I know have read it and loved it. The book had a strong emotional impact on me when I read it. However, the Theology is deficient, colored by the author's painful, personal life experiences.

    Thanks for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete