Thursday, May 7, 2009

How to Gripe in the Spirit

Here's an interesting lesson that no one has ever taught me in my early days with the Lord, but one I need/want to learn now: How to Gripe in the Spirit by using the "Psalms of Lament." Did you know there is a Biblical way to complain to God? Sandra Glahn says:

As a new Christian, I read guides that told me to pray using the acrostic “ACTS”: Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication. And years later when my husband and I experienced seven pregnancy losses and three failed adoptions, I found myself continually drawn to the psalms. New phrases such “How long, O Lord? (6:3) and “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (22:1) filled my prayers. And while echoing these spiritual gripes, I discovered to my surprise that the ACTS formula had left out the most common form of psalm in The Bible—the lament.

We find the psalms of lament in 6, 13, 22, 27, 44, 69, 70, 74, 102, and 142.

In these prayers of complaint I found some frequently recurring elements: (1) an introductory appeal (2) a description of what's wrong (the lament itself) and (3) a formal request. Sometimes I’d also see evidence that the psalmist received (4) an oracle from God in response. And finally, following such an oracle, the lament usually ended in (5) an expression of confidence or praise.

Four years ago I was out of work for six months through no fault of my own. I prayed a lot; usually in faith for God's provision and care. There were some times though, and two days in particular, when words extremely similar to the Psalms of Lament were just about the only kind of prayer I could do. I remember one night when I sat alone in an empty room reading some of those psalms to the Lord, crying in frustration and pain. I ultimately came out of that night with comfort and increased faith.

Glahn concludes:
Before a friend directed me to the psalms of lament, I had thought it wrong to express displeasure about my circumstances. But afterward, with new courage to express the pain I felt, I found greater respect for the Lord’s greatness, amazed that He not only allows us to talk this way to Him, but has even provided examples of how.
She's right. I've been there and have the T-shirt. I expect to be there again someday. When that happens, I know what part of the Bible to turn to.



No comments:

Post a Comment