Ever have one of those days?
You know those days, when everything goes wrong!
Who hasn’t had one of those days?
I had one the other day. It was the kind of day where I think I would have been better off just staying in bed. The kind of day that makes you wonder if you can do anything right.
Anyway, I was sitting there in the midst of my very bad day and jotted down a few choices I felt I had to shake this funk. So here’s my list. Hope it helps you on your very bad day.
1. Do something nice for someone else. While I’m not really sure that being selfless for selfish reasons is exactly Biblical, it sure does seem to work.
2. Tell yourself, “Well, at least I ______________.” At least, you went to the gym, or played with your kids, or walked the dog, or read your children a story, or recycled, or ended the day with a great dinner with friends, or saved the world from impending disaster. Okay, you probably didn’t do the latter but you get the point.
3. Go to bed early. I’ve said this before but sometimes the most spiritual thing you can do is get some sleep. I’m always amazed how a little extra sleep helps you have a whole new perspective the next morning. Lamentations3:22 Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
4. Keep a proper perspective. Ask yourself: “Will this matter in a month? In a year?”
5. Be grateful. Remind yourself that a lousy day isn’t a catastrophic day. Probably, things could be worse. In fact, I believe most of it can and will be redeemed by God.