Monday, June 27, 2011

We Have It Better Than We can Imagine

Christian, you and I have it better than we realize, and even better than we can imagine.  Consider these words from Kyle Idleman (italics in the original).
Sometimes I hear people talk about the different men and women in the Old Testament, and there is a hint of jealousy.  They may say it, or just insinuate it, but here's what they communicate.

What would it have been like to hear God's voice and see him move in such powerful ways? I wish it was the same for us as it was for those whose stories we read about in Scripture. When I get to heaven I can't wait to ask David, Elijah, or Moses what it was like.

But I think it will be just the opposite in heaven. Before we can ask David what it was like to slay the giant, to win the battles, he'll say, Tell me what it was like on earth to have the Holy Spirit living inside of you, giving you strength when you are weak.  We might say to Elijah, What was it like to call down fire from heaven before the prophets of Baal and to raise that boy from the dead? And I think Elijah might say, Yeah, he actually ended up dying again.  You tell me what it's like to have God living inside of you. What was it like to live life on earth with the Holy Spirit giving you joy when you are depressed or giving you the power to overcome sin in your life? We might say to Moses, What was it like to follow the cloud by day and fire by night? What was it like to meet with God on that mountain? And  Moses might say, I had to climb that mountain to meet with God. You tell me what it was like to have him dwell within you every day.  What was it like to have the Holy Spirit giving you directions whne you didn't know what to do or where to go?
               ( From Not A Fan, Kyle Idleman, page 91)
If we really realized that we have it better than the Old Testament heros, if we really believed that Jesus meant what he said about it being better for the disciples if he went away so he could send the Holy Spirit, wouldn't our lives be radically different?

Think about it.  I know I am.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks and well done. A timely word. I had enviously imagined the OT heroes and had never seen this perspective. I feel like I've just grown a little more. Iron sharpens iron! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Mark. Please come back and comment anytime.

    ReplyDelete