Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Jesus Movement Turns 40



The Jesus Movement Turns 40 @ Thinking Out Loud
Christian Festivals and the Jesus Movement: @ Tall Skinny Kiwi
We Need Another Jesus Movement - J. Lee Grady
A New Jesus People Movement - The Journeyman's Files

40 years ago this week.  I remember that magazine cover! 

Jesus became real to me in 1970, during the youth revival known as the "Jesus Movement." Those were exciting and heady days. Sometimes it seemed like you could just walk down the hall at many high schools and just breathe on people and they would get saved.

Ocean baptisms, giant rallies, concerts from the early days of contemporary Christian music (before the "suits" from the record companies took it over) - I saw it all. Most of the Christian leaders in American churches who are now in their 50's and even 60's got their spiritual start in the Jesus Movement of the 1970's.

As a veteran of the "Jesus Movement,"  I now officially feel old - but grateful for all God did in my life back in those days. May he do it again with a new generation!

2 comments:

  1. Cool. I've read about those days, though only glimpsed the fringes of the movement in my high school years. It was fairly marginal in northeastern Pennsylvania. Later, reading about those days and even looking up that old issue of Time and other journals of the period, it fills me with excitement to think that sort of thing could happen again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it was very real alright. And, it can happen again! I'm celebrating 40 years this month pastoring the same church that my wife and I launched in East Los Angeles right out of the Jesus Revolution. Chuck Smith gave us our first rent check! The depth and quality of faith first established in our hearts back then sustains us to this day, and we continue to see the miracle of lives changed everyday! Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete