Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Next 30 Years

Today is my 54th birthday, and I am feeling a little nostalgic.

Last Friday night I visited the campus of my Alma Mater, Mississippi College, to attend a Homecoming weekend gathering of alumni from the 1970's. Two thoughts that struck me hard that night were (a) How young the current college students look, and (b) How old my fellow 70's alumni looked! (just kidding).  It really was good to talk to several old friends.

As I wandered the campus before the event, remembering events and thoughts from over 30 years ago, I asked myself how I would have acted, what I would have done back in 1978, if I could have known then what the next 30 something years would look like for me. You know, there is no way to really answer that question. I'm glad I did not know.

But my Lord did know. He knew my future then - both what I now (in hind sight) consider my struggles and failures, as well as what I call my triumphs and successes. They were, and are, all in His hands. Maybe He considers my successes to be fluff, and my perceived failures to be character building triumphs?

He also knows what the next 30 years will look like.  I'm glad He won't tell me - I am content to leave it all in His hands, and take it day by day.

Here's to the next 30 years.  May He be glorified in them all.

3 comments:

  1. Well Happy Birthday! We share another common thread, I am an MCLaw School grad...

    And as for the next 30...I am not looking past the next 8, after that I am done!!!!

    If I have to go another 30 God help us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm appreciate your writing skill.Please keep on working hard.^^

    ReplyDelete