Friday, October 8, 2010

Exposing Our Idolatry

Even though I have no ambition, gift or calling to be a church planter, I still think I want to read this book!
"In Church Planter, Darrin Patrick leads his readers through a classification of idolatry, dividing it into two categories.

Surface Idols. The more observable of the two types of idolatry, surface idols are often easily-seen offshoots of deeper, less obvious sins. Some examples include:
  • Image idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I look certain way.
  • Helping idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if people are dependent on me.
  • Work idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I am highly productive.
  • Materialism idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I have a certain level of wealth, financial freedom, and possessions.
  • Inner Ring idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I am part of a particular social or professional group
  • Ideology idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if my political party or social cause is in or gaining power.
Source Idols- The more subversive idols are the ones that drive all the other types of idolatries in our lives. They include:
  • Comfort idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I experience a certain quality of life or a particular pleasure.
  • Approval idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I am loved and respected by ________.
  • Control idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I am able to get mastery in my life over a certain area.
  • Power idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if have power and influence over others.
“The key to removing idols in your life is installing Christ in the center of your being,” Patrick says. To escape from our idols, we must recognize them, own up to it, and turn from it. By repenting from idolatry and turning to the Gospel, we will find true joy in the Spirit."

Excerpts modified from chapter 12 of Church Planter.
From:  Crossway.blog » Exposing Idolatry in Our Lives


No comments:

Post a Comment