Sunday, August 22, 2010

Overlapping Themes of Grace

I've been reading two books this past week - with some overlapping themes.

Surprised by Grace: God's Relentless Pursuit of Rebels, by Tullian Tchividjian. I just finished this book by Billy Graham's grandson, who is also the successor to D. James Kennedy at Coral Ridge Presbyterian in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida,  This is an exploration of the grace of God as shown in the Old Testament Book of Jonah. I've never read or heard any material on Jonah that made the book relevant like this, or that integrated it with the entire Bible and especially Jesus' message of grace.  I was highlighting on almost every page.

Gospel in Life: Grace Changes Everything, by Tim Keller.  I just started this one, which is not really a book, but a study guide to go along with the video series by the same name produced by Keller's Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City. It explores some of the same themes as Keller's first three books, but does have some original material (including some wonderful illustrative charts!). He also has some great Luther and Calving quotes. If anyone has seen the video series I would love to hear your comments. I posted some quotes from this book yesterday.

What overlapping themes, you ask?

Grace:  God's grace and mercy are bigger than our sin and moral rebellion- big enough to encompass a wicked city like Ninevah and a sinful man like Jonah (or me). "..for I knew that you are a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.." (Jonah 4:2)

Idolatry:  The human heart is an idol factory, constantly manufacturing false saviors as sources for fulfillment, purpose and identity. The Gospel confronts all idols with the message that salvation is of the Lord.  "Those who pay regard to vain idols forsake their hop of steadfast love." (Jonah 2:8)

Repentance:  Biblical repentance founded in the gospel of mercy and grace is not just turning from sins, but from sin - rejecting all self-salvation schemes and false savior idols and throwing oneself on Christ and His work alone. "Salvation belongs to the Lord" (Jonah 2:9)

Jesus:  I am a great sinner, but He is a great Savior!

I am not doing either book justice with this summary.  Expect a lot of quotes from each book in the coming days to illustrate these themes better than my humble words can. Oh, and in case I haven't made myself clear, I really recommend these two books! 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment