Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Wind In My Sails


The chief service I owe you, O God,
is that every thought and word of mine should speak of You.
The power of speech which You have bestowed on me
can give me no greater pleasure
than to serve You by preaching Your gospel.
But in saying this,
I am merely expressing what I want to do.
If I am actually to use this gift,
I must ask You for Your help -
ask You to fill the sails I have hoisted for You
with the wind of Your Holy Spirit,
inspiring my mind and my voice.
I know that I am often heavy with stupor,
so that I am too lazy to speak of You.
And I do not spend sufficient time studying Your Scriptures,
to ensure that my words conform to Your Word.
Give me the energy and the courage to share the spirit of the apostles,
that like them I may truly be an ambassador of Your grace.
Hilary of Poitiers, 310-367

HT:  Trevin Wax

No comments:

Post a Comment