Friday, January 31, 2014

Grace, Always Grace

I enjoyed reading this post by Matt at Human Like You this week:
For many, it is often thought that grace is for salvation alone. However, the longer one lives the Christian life, the more he or she realizes that grace was not only the entry way to salvation, but grace is also the vehicle that carries us our entire life.
Romans 3:23 (NLT) says, For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.
I often thought this verse only applied to those who needed to get saved. After all, this verse is one of the hinge scriptures in the Romans Road. 
Like I mentioned above, the longer I live this life following Christ, the more I realize Romans 3:23 is about me. Why? Falling short of God’s glorious standard seems to be my primary issue. 
My failings is the reason I am saturated in the reality of grace. 
Let me say it like this:Every time I look at someone and judge them based on their demographic, I need grace.Every time I listen to or partake in gossip, I need grace.Every time I act as thought I am holy, I need grace.Every time I feel superior to my family, I need grace.Every time I give with begrudging hands, I need grace.Every time I walk past someone hurting that I can help, I need grace.Every time I complain about complainers, I need grace.Every time I look at another woman and lust, I need grace.Every time I talk badly to my wife, I need grace.Every time I lose my temper with my son, I need grace.Every time I give in to overeating, I need grace.Every time I choose to be lazy, I need grace.Every time I find and excuse to not love someone, I need grace.Every time I use Bible knowledge to make someone feel less than smart, I need grace.Every time I try to prove myself to others, I need grace.Every time I get defensive when confronted about my character, I need grace.Every time I use the pronoun “I” to build myself up, I need grace.Every time I am deceitful, I need grace.Every time I am anything but broken before others, I need grace.Every time I use social media to tear another, I need grace.Every time I think I am better that someone else because of my religion, I need grace.Every time I read Matthew 23:23-28, I realize I am no different than THESE GUYS, and I need grace.
My question to us all? What sentence could you write about your life concerning your need for grace?
By the way, we can’t even write a sentence about grace, lest we have experienced how badly we need grace.
Don’t fight grace, its the one consistent attribute of God in your life, whether you realize it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment