Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Gods at War

Anyone who has read this blog for any length of time should easily be able to determine that one of the themes I am very interested in right now is idolatry - How discovering, understanding and confronting the idols we (I, you) worship is a major key to spiritual freedom and victory over sin. No one breaks any of the other 8 commandments until they first break numbers 1 and 2. This was a major theme in Mark Driscoll's book which I recently reviewed, and it came up in Keller's book on Galatians.

I was intrigued and excited when I heard that Kyle Idleman's new book dealt with this message.  His first book, Not A Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus, was a bestseller and one of the best books I read back in 2011. I'm now reading the new one, Gods At War: Defeating the Idols That Battle For Your Heart. What's it about? From the back cover:
"..there are false gods at war within each of us, and they battle fore the place of glory and control in our lives. What keeps us from truly following Jesus is that our hearts are pursuing something or someone else. Behind the sin you're struggling with, the discouragement you're dealing with, the lack of purpsoe you're living with is a false god that is winning the war for your heart."
Expect a lot of quotes to be posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment