Saturday, November 20, 2010

Two Kinds of Wisdom Distinguished

“We may say that a fundamental difference between divine wisdom and human wisdom is that God’s wisdom exalts what the cross stands for and human wisdom is offended by what the cross stands for...

...what offends human wisdom about the cross is that it humbles man and exalts the unearnable grace of God. I makes humans look dependent and helpless - like little children - and makes God look all-sufficient and all-providing and absolutely free in giving salvation to sinners.”

   - John Piper, Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God, pages 146-147.

  

1 comment:

  1. this really appealed to my lawyer brain...and it made me reflect that I have never really forgiven much, merely chosen to accept excuses.

    on the other hand, I have not asked for much forgiveness, rather I have given the excuse that I was born with a sin nature.

    In fact, I accept the Grace of God mostly because I accept my inherint flawed nature...but I fail too often to realize my need for forgiveness, and instead rely too much on my excuse.

    ReplyDelete