Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Resolution Dangers

Making any 2012 resolutions?  As you do, it's good to remember The Tyranny of Advice Christianity
I saw a commercial once (at 2 a.m.) that said I have to do whatever it takes to “actualize my best me.” Jargon aside, it makes sense, really. Doing results in being. Cause and effect. Want six-pack abs? Just buy the right product and give your new, healthy lifestyle 110% for 10 weeks and maybe you’ll see results. (Phew, I guess it’s time to get to work on those resolutions …)  It makes sense to assume that doing something will produce some change. But a personal makeover obsession won’t do one bit of good when it comes to fixing the human condition.

When you feel defeated by sin, burnt out by expectations, and discouraged by your inability to get it together, the last thing you need is “good advice.” So I don’t have any new advice for you. But I do have a bit of helpful hyperbole: Advice is tyranny. Okay, that’s a little over the top. But there’s a reason for the overstatement.

Much more at the link.

2 comments:

  1. At one time I too; did New Year's Resolutions"...but they barely lasted out the first full week of January and none of them bore any fruit. :(.......I used to envy those of my friends who could plan out something and actually have it come to pass. As for my attampts at planning/ they were doomed to failure...I have a 100% failure rate.........So I came to the conclusion that only God's Will get's done (!) and as I wasn't God .: my plans were going to fail anyway. Because I know that I am not God (big G or little g....!) and so now that I have a full understanding of that one fact...I can face tomorrow and be content allowing God to be God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't go for "resolutions," but the changing of the calendar is a natural season for reflection, reassessment of the present, and — I suppose this is what differs from Advice Christianity — seeking God's direction. And I want to take this "natural season" as a starting point, to help me do those things regularly throughout the year, rather than expecting something to happen because of a one-time decision.

    ReplyDelete