Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Watching the Christian TV Train Wrecks

Michael Mckinley at the 9 Marks Blog (Church Matters: The 9Marks Blog) says he will watch TBN on Sunday mornings so that the rest of us don't have to. As one who can't stand most Christian television programing, I must say "Thanks, Michael - what a sacrifice!"
Well, here's my confession: I love watching the televangelists. I don't know why. Before my wife started cranking out kids, she worked in an emergency room. She used to watch ER, just to complain about poor intubation technique or excessive use of the defibrillator. Maybe it's something like that for me. I love to watch the guys and gals early on Sunday morning, doing their thing... it's like a car wreck that you can't look away from. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
After some funny commentary on all the prosperity gospel preachers, he turns to the EWTN Roman Catholic programs:
-- This old nun is just saying "Haily Mary" after "Hail Mary". Seriously, for like 10 minutes. I have to admit, after Rod Parsley, this is kind of refreshing.

-- I do not get the appeal of this religion. It's like none of the fun of the Prosperity Gospel and none of the truth of the real gospel.
Whatever happened to the real Gospel? Does anybody still talk about it? You sure can't find much about it on television.

Read the whole article for a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment