Thursday, August 18, 2011

Talkin' About Jackson (While It's Temporarily Cool)


One Righteous Babe (love the blog name) talks about living in Jackson, Mississippi, (where I also live) while it's temporarily cool due to the book and movie "The Help."
You basically need a passport to come to The South because it's like a whole 'nother part of the world. Like good ol' William Faulkner said "To understand the world, you must first understand a place like Mississippi."
Then she says:
Did you know that Mississippi has brought you people like William Faulkner, Eudora Welty, Tennessee Williams, Elvis Presley, B.B. King, Soulja Boy, Afroman, Oprah Winfrey, Jim Henson, Faith Hill, Morgan Freeman, 3 Doors Down, James Earl Jones and Jimmy Buffet.
And I love this:
"Mississippi is like my mother. I am allowed to complain about her all I want, but God help the person who raises an ill word about her around me, unless she is their mother too."
It's nice to be temporarily cool (even when the weather is hot!) .... And don't you talk bad about either Mississippi or my mother!


No comments:

Post a Comment