Monday, March 11, 2013

Need the Presence

Like this from Pete Wilson - Note the very important question in red at the end.
This morning I did a little reading in Exodus and saw this…
Exodus 33:15 “Then Moses said to him, ‘If your presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here.”
God promised Moses he would send his angel before them and guide them to their God-given destination. This is what Moses has been waiting for. This is a win. A huge win. He’s assuring Moses success, but Moses doesn’t want success. He wants God.
When I read this I felt like someone had hit me in the head with a shovel.  Far too often as a leader I make success my God. I make success the destination. I’m willing to make a lot of sacrifices, even some unhealthy ones, if it means achieving success.We’ve all sacrificed things for….
larger church attendance
more money
nicer car
corner office
bigger title
noticeable popularity
Moses reminds us that no amount of success, plans, or dreams are worth it if it means less of God’s presence in your life.
Just a few verses before in verse 11 it says “The Lord spoke to Moses face to face as a man speaks to a friend.” I think Moses had grown so accustomed to God’s presence that it became the most cherished and prized thing in his life. He couldn’t imagine going a moment without it.
Can I be honest? I’m not there… but I want to be. I want to get to that place. I want to get to the place where I want God and His presence in my life more than anything this world has to offer.
How would you feel if God promised you success and victory but without His presence? Have you experienced God’s presence so consistently you can’t live without it?
 Good question.

No comments:

Post a Comment