Saturday, September 26, 2009

Jesus the Goal

“Jesus Christ is not merely the means of our rescue from damnation; he is the goal of our salvation. If he is not satisfying to be with, there is no salvation.

He is not merely the rope that pulls us from the threatening waves; he is the solid beach under our feet, the air in our lungs, and the beat of our heart, and the warm sun on our skin, and the song in our ears, and the arms of our beloved.”

- John Piper, Taste and See, 406

Hat Tip: Rope, Beach, Air, Sun, Song « Of First Importance


2 comments:

  1. Dear Barry,
    This reminds me of Psalm 40:1-2.
    "...I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
    He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings...."
    Jesus is our Salvation because he is SALVATION!
    He is the ROCK upon which we stand. Not just the sandy beach beneath our feet. (I mean beach sand is not very stable. I find that when I am on a beach and the waves are washing over my feet - I get the sensation that I am slipping away. I also get dizzy.)
    But when I am standing on a rocky outcrop on the beach, that is something entirely different - I get the feeling that the waves can't wash me away. As long as my feet stay planted not even the waves can push me away!
    Love FAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am reminded of Psalm 40:1-2:
    "...I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined his ear to me, and heard my cry.
    He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. ..."
    Yes Jesus is the author and finisher of our Salvation because that is what HE is - Our Salvation!

    ReplyDelete