Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Gospel Does Something

This quote is from a post by David Wayne at JOLLYBLOGGER on preaching "practical" sermons - T. David Gordon on Moralistic vs. Christological Preaching

I agree with this in a sense, but "practical" often takes the form of a "to-do" list, a series of actions we must take to "apply" the text. The problem with this is that it seems to me to render the gospel null and void. Our response to the gospel is always that of repentance and faith, not action. We do not "do" something to apply the gospel, the gospel "does" something to us. Thus I have been very cautious in offering "to-do" lists from texts.
I love (and agree with) that thought. We do not apply the Gospel so much as the Gospel does something to us! Something to meditate on - What is the Gospel doing to me and in me today?

No comments:

Post a Comment