Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Post-Modern Conservative?

Here's an interesting and unusual thought: Can someone be both a post-modern and a conservative? The quote below is from An Interview with Michael Wittmer at Between Two Worlds. Dr. Wittmer is an Associate Professor of Systematic and Historical Theology at Grand Rapids Theological Seminary,and author of Don’t Stop Believing: Why Living Like Jesus Is Not Enough.
I would call myself a postmodern conservative. I am postmodern in that I believe that every worldview begins with specific presuppositions (Cornelius Van Til) or basic beliefs (Alvin Plantinga), is best understood as a distinct narrative (e.g., the biblical worldview is creation, fall, and redemption), and is unable to objectively prove itself to someone who refuses to be convinced. I am postmodern because I concede that everything we know is filtered through our unique perspective. And yet I am conservative because I believe that our finite and often flawed thinking is able to know the truth about God, ourselves, and the world.

I am also conservative because I believe that right doctrine matters as much as good behavior, and in fact the latter only truly proceeds from the former. I also believe that this right doctrine is the historic beliefs of the church found in Scripture, the Apostles and Nicene Creed, and most faithfully expounded in the Reformed branch of Protestant Christianity.
I've never heard it put that way before. nor have I heard those two outlooks pulled together into one person's world view. Sounds like a concept worth some thought. I probably need to read his book also.

No comments:

Post a Comment